Welding Scholarships: How To Get A Free Ride Through Welding School

Many articles in the “Weekly Roundup” have featured the growing demand for welders. Now, it’s time for you take the next necessary step to turn your welding hobby into a career: graduate from a welding program.

Welding programs differ in completion time, courses available and such, but they all require a fee of some kind. Quality education isn’t free (usually). To help you with tuition, supplies, books and other costs, here are some ways you earn a free ride through welding school.

Welding Scholarships

The American Welding Society offers financial aid through the AWS District Scholarship Program. The program covers the cost of books, supplies, tuition, and other related costs paid directly to your school.

What are the requirements?

Be a high school graduate or have a GED equivalent

Be a student enrolled in a welding-relation program (educational or training) in the United States or its territories

How do I apply?

Apply online via https://scholarship.aws.org

When can I apply?

March 1st is the deadline for receiving applications at the Foundation office, but you can apply any time. Scholarships are given from May to June for the coming fall term.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE AWS DISTRICT SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM, VISIT THE PROGRAM’S PAGE AT AWS.ORG.

Welding Grants

Because of the Workforce Development Act, states receive federal funding to help build up the workforce in their area – and in many states welding is a field with with a workforce shortage.

To apply for a welding grant from your state:

Through a county or state office, contact the Workforce Development Center

Get registered with your state office

Speak with a specialist at the county or state office about the grants available and how to proceed with applying

Lincoln Welding Gear Pack

Lincoln Premium Welding Gear Ready-Pak

SKU: LINK3236

Tillman Protection Kit

Tillman Premium Protection Kit

SKU: JOHTKIT1

Lincoln Viking Welding Helmet

Lincoln Viking 3350 4C Black Welding Helmet

SKU: LINK3034-3

Tillman Heavy Duty MIG Gloves

Tillman Heavy Duty Top Grain Split Cowhide MIG Gloves

SKU: JOH50

12 thoughts on “Welding Scholarships: How To Get A Free Ride Through Welding School”

1. David ogbeinyama says:

I am a welder with two years experience.pls i need a scholarship to gain more experience.please help me am from nigeria.i want to be a professional welder.God bless u

2. Baker's says:

Thanks for the post David! Here are some resources you can start with…
    American Welding Society Foundation:
    AWS Foundation Scholarships – Loan Programs – Fellowships
    Listings of Welding Scholarships, Fellowships, and Loans
    Another good resource is to contact some welding schools to find out what scholarships and financial aid options they have for their program. Check out our post, “The Three Big Welding Schools” for more info.
    I hope that helps!

3. Adeniran Taye says:

Can non us resident student apply?

4. Epiku simon says:

I am epiku simon from uganda am awelder and i have been working with aeatrec (agrecultural engeeniaring and appropriat technology reseach center)under NARO.I would like to improve may skills can you hell me achive may dream.thanks .

5. Bryar A. Bell says:

My name is Bryar Bell. I am twenty years old and have applied to United Welding Institute in Pottsville,AR. I am planning to start the school in November. I live on my own earning approximately $9.50 per hour. I have applied for a loan from Arkansas Rural Endowment Fund and am going to receive that money. It will pay my tuition and rent but nothing to live on. I need some extra money really badly. I plan to work while I am going to school. Any help would be appreciated.

6. ville says:

I don’t have a ged but I did a fast track program for 3 months and got 8 credicts would I be able for a grant for welding

7. Justin says:

I found a school at night to help me with welding. I want to learn how to weld professionally . I want a union just trying to learn more thing in construction Area . Welding would help me out a lot.
    Just don’t have to money for classes and equipment . How can I get help???

8. Will Moore says:

I live in Cincinnati Ohio and I need some information about welding school’s that I can go too and, I would like to about funding and scholarship programs I can go through ?

9. paul ohaeri nwoko says:

I an oxygen welder but i need to get more grounds on industrial welding in other to excel

10. Ann lafontaine says:

My son wants to get a welding degree and work at the BMW plant in South Carolina. Right now he lives in a Georgia. Any suggestions on which schools are the best and how to get scholarships. I have multiple sclerosis, so ,y medical bills are high and I’m on disability.

11. Christina Powell says:

Hello my name is christina and im a mother of two great daughters and have been looking to improve my skills and welding field really satisfies my interest i was in a voc tech welding field and would be so greatful for anyone with information and knowledge of how I can get the funding for this awesome field.

12. Jamel hayes says:

Hello I’m a structure welder. I’m trying to upgrade on my welding to pipe welding. I’m looking for yo your help. Thanks!