How to Find the Best Welding Jobs and Welding Careers

In any discussion about the best welding jobs or best welding career, there are a variety of factors that need to be considered. There isn’t one perfect welding job, as they all have different benefits and drawbacks. Therefore, the key to finding the best welding job or welding career for yourself is to figure out which kind of job is ideal for you as well as for your family. While it’s quite possible to make a lot of money as a welder, there are other jobs that pay less while offering benefits that may make a pay cut worthwhile.

Image Source: Lincoln Electric

Welding Jobs by Region

There are some great welding job opportunities on oil rigs, up north in Canada, and all over the world. Countries in the Middle East and the U.S. military are looking for welders, and those willing to travel around the world or to work in difficult conditions can make a lot of money in a short period of time.

Welding Jobs by Benefits

Working for a large welding manufacturing or construction company or with a union can bring excellent job security, benefits, and even a pension. Many welders who work with unions are happy with the work they have. The work is steady and that means the pay is steady as well, creating a more manageable pace for welders who would rather not travel to extreme locations.

Welding Jobs by Schedule

Some welders prefer to find a shop or company that allows them to work lots of overtime, others want a predictable routine working regular hours, and still others prefer to pack up their families for a few months and move to a job site such as a pipeline location, ship yard, or construction project where they can work long hours and make a lot of money before taking time off.

Welding Jobs by Highest Salary

Pipe welding, welding on oil rigs, underwater welding, and more specialized applications such as a materials engineer or computer welder can make a lot of money, but these jobs also bring high standards, a lot of stress, and a good deal of competition. There isn’t a lot of margin for error in these fields, and there are plenty of welders trying to find jobs where they can make top dollar.

Welding Jobs by Demand

Welding jobs come and go depending on demand. Sometimes finding the best welding job requires relocating or even becoming a bit nomadic, following the ship yards and oil companies around from job site to job site. In addition, it may be competitive to find a job as a welding instructor or inspector, but if you can land a position like that, you will most likely find a good deal of job security.

There is no “correct” or “ideal” welding job. A career in welding could involve a lot of travel and random hours, or a welding job could be steady and reliable. Sometimes you’ll need to take on a difficult job before you can move on to a more desirable position for your welding career. There is no perfect job out there, but there are a lot of great opportunities available for welders willing to work.

Learn more about pursuing a welding career at Baker’s Gas and Welding resources library.

Hypertherm Powermax 65 Plasma Cutter

Hypertherm Powermax 65 Mach. Sys. CPC Port 25′ Lead Remote

SKU: HYP083277

Lincoln Viking Helmet

Lincoln Viking 3350 4C Black Welding Helmet

SKU: LINK3034-3

Miller Millermatic 211 MIG Welder

Miller Millermatic 211 MIG Welder w/ Advanced Auto Set

SKU: MIL907614

Miller Weld-Mask Goggles

Miller Weld-Mask Auto-Darkening Goggles

SKU: MIL267370

15 thoughts on “How to Find the Best Welding Jobs and Welding Careers”

1. Welder Jobs says:

I just came onto your post and found it quite interesting. I am also associated with Weld, Welder Jobs, Welding Schools, Welding Tips, and love to enjoy the stuff on the same as its rarely found on internet. Thanks again for writing such a good post.

2. Vocational Course Florida says:

It is really an interesting discussion, as we can make the decision on our welding career, it will be nice to get the proper certification from well reputated institute that will provide degree as well.

3. olga martinex says:

Great information

4. Subodh Sharma says:

As iam looking for a welding job as a Instructor /Engineer
    Having2 4 years of experience.Subodh Sharma.
    subodh_sharma7@yahoo.co.in

5. Rupeni Seruitukana says:

Im looking for a job ,still in tertiary level doing my welding course at the moment.

6. Chris Harvin says:

I’m looking for a pipe welding job.
    currentley certified 6010 rt 7018 bal
    experience tig and mig
    Chief instructor recomendation mark smith (Shasta college)

7. Milagros Pagan says:

Looking for welders with shipyard experience. Have jobs available in FLorida in the marine division & other locations.

8. Ryan says:

I’ve been researching a verity of welding jobs I can weld anything and fabricate anything to my liking/specifications but I’ve yet to find that one job that keeps me coming back money’s cool and all but I want a career that’s obsolete to any other i want to be a important part of the world and be respected in my line of work I don’t mind taking orders but it’ll be nice once the shoes on the other foot I have a great positive attitude and dislike negativity in the work place but am able to cope and redirect any of it I’m ready for the bbd in my life as a welder I’ve caught myself thinking how awesome it would be to weld in space or on tanks but don’t like the idea of signing my life and rights over is there a way I can award myself with these line of jobs without and drawbacks like signing into military/unions if so leave me contact information/job listings thanks in advance

9. Dale Chatfield says:

I have been a certified 3G MIG and 3G Flux-core welder for almost 3 years, smack dab in the middle of the “rust belt” I haven’t found one job worth hanging on to in Eastern Ohio. I got so fed up after a year of looking for steady employment, that I went back to school and became a Certified Machinist. Now looking at 6G pipe cert and Stainless TIG. I don’t know where all these opportunities are but even with a Certified Production Technician via MSSC, seems I missed rush.

10. Hussein says:

I am a welder with 16 years experience and looking for job

11. Hussein says:

If any one need a welder contact me at 3478277405

1. vishal kumar says:

Hloo hussein my name is vishal and I am from India and I need a job for welding so please you can contact me on my phone number 9855886319

12. Winson says:

I’m a certify welder of sect 1X of ASMcode that I have also welderID#:W-06 of 6C pipe welding certify.i’m looking for job,I also know how to weld almonium with tig ,mig soldering ,stick,and oxy and acytlene brassing in 14 yeah .if you need welder call 563-564-6205 Dubuque ia.

13. Winson says:

814 Almond St Dubuque ia 52001. Email winsonsamson@gmail.com

14. Isaac babson yeboah says:

I wont to lean more about welding works especially the teyps